Recognising that our beloved Malaysia is:
- A sovereign and independent member of the global community of nations;
- A polity founded on the principles of a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary democracy;
- A multi-ethnic, multi-faith and multi-cultural society formed on the basis of a shared choice of membership;
- A country built and nurtured by the immeasurable efforts and invaluable contributions of all her people, past and present;
- A nation where her people are inextricably bound by a shared history, heritage, a common interest and destiny;
- A land blessed with rich natural and human resources.
We, Anak Bangsa Malaysia, hereby declare that we are first and foremost Malaysians and Malaysia is our Home. We aspire to be the conscience of the nation and therefore pledge to:
- Nurture the spirit of 'Unity is Strength' as enunciated in our Merdeka and Malaysia Day proclamations;
- Honour and Uphold the Federal Constitution as the Supreme Law of the Land;
- Defend the constitutional provisions of fundamental liberties and equal rights for all citizens;
- Respect our fellow citizens irrespective of ethnicity, faith, colour, class or gender;
- Oppose all forms of prejudice, discrimination, oppression, persecution and injustice;
- Cherish our multi-cultural heritage and celebrate our rich diversity; and
- Respect and safeguard our natural and built environment;
We, Anak Bangsa Malaysia, herewith undertake to:
- Engender a National Mindset to think and act first and foremost as Malaysians;
- Engage the Hearts and Minds of our people to rise above the social constructs and divisive forces of ethnicity, faith, colour, class or gender;
- Promote the humanitarian Values of inclusiveness, equality and justice for all;
- Advance the principles of Good Governance, namely, stewardship, integrity, accountability and transparency;
- Educate our people to be responsible and caring Global Citizens contributing to peace, prosperity and sustainable development.
"One People, One Nation".
Towards this end, we are determined to take this message to the PEOPLE.
25th April 2009
Note: I photographed and OCRed this; please excuse any errors. You can read more about the SABM initiative here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. BM Version here.